Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Today's the Day!

Okay, with a set of instructions from Matt and a little providence, perhaps we'll see an image today?



Artwork © James E. Lyle

Hooray! Three cheers and a tiger for Matt! It finally worked. The image seen here was originally created in the mid 90s as a spec piece (that is, created in hopes of getting more work from it). I did it for a guy who wanted to export jackets with "nose art" to the Japanese market. Apparently nose art was big in Japan then. It didn't work out. I never saw a cent from this piece and all the schmoozing I did. So much for schmoozing.

The art was based on a photo taken of my wife when she was about 17. My Father-in-law is a pretty accomplished photographer as well as being the illustrator of Ernie Keebler for 20+ years. So when I base an illustration on one of his photos I know I'm starting from a good source.

A few weeks ago I realized that I own the rights to this piece in full. So I put the image on tee-shirts at CafePress.com. If anyone wants one, you know where to look.

A little more info about yesterday. The waiting was difficult, but I got through. Gypsy Bandwagon set up in a rush for a group of about 50 people. We didn't have time for a proper sound check, but the crowd seemed to enjoy the show. I had been nervous up to the point of actually playing, but it all went away when we started.

The group was pretty appreciative, and seemed to like the jokes as much as the music. So my contribution (besides drumming) was to make silly announcements. Come see us in concert some time and you can here them.

We made $25 each for our work. Starting a band is slow business. We went to Huddle House and blew most of the money on a late, late, breakfast. Perpetuating the stereotype.

No comments: