Thursday, October 27, 2005

Another day, another image



Artwork © James E. Lyle

This is from a book I've been illustrating for Timothy Chandler. Tim's famous in comic book circles as "The Poison Ivy Guy", but he's been working on this pirate novel for several years now. He had the good sense to buy his art in bulk. I'm owe him well over 40 illustrations that he's pre-paid for. Amazing that people like my work so much they'll pay in advance and wait for months to see anything. Tim's a patient man.

Anyway all week I've been trying to get this piece inked. What you see above is the pencil sketch done at about half size. I blew this up on the copier (darkening it in the process) and am inking it on a piece of Bristol Board using my light table. I have an "in-progress" detail that I'm planning to post here soon, but the page is almost done. I really only need to fill in the black areas and clean it up.

However, I spent all day trying to balance my checkbook.

No comments: