Sunday, January 08, 2006

A goul named Sven

The Chicago area is home to a lot of stuff. Da Bears, Da Bulls, Da Cubs (and you have to pronounce the “s” sound as a “ce” sound if you want to do it right).

The Chicago area is also home to my wife’s family.

And then there’s Sven.

Although I grew up on B-horror shows, it wasn’t until I was in my late 20s that I discovered “Mystery Science Theater 3000” and for a long time that show eclipsed all other B-flick venues in my admiration. I still love the show, but enough time has gone by that I’m beginning to see the beauty of similar programming on the local level.

A few years ago I discovered Sven. It took me a little while to warm up to the guy. But, now I can say I’m a devoted follower of “Svengoolie” on WCIU-TV (26 in Chicagoland). Every time I visit my in-laws I search the listings to find out when Sven will be on.

A bit of a task, that. WCIU keeps moving the poor guy around! Last night I managed to catch half of “The Magic Sword” before punking out and going to bed (hey, I do like to make Sunday School when I can). A very hilarious episode, based on a decidedly bad movie. A movie that I’m pretty sure every local horror host has either aired or is planning to air.

In fact some of the same films have run on Sven that were just a few years ago sent-up by MST3K. Guess what? It makes no difference! It’s like seeing a different production of Hamlet. Well, maybe it’s more like seeing another stand-up routine where the comic does an imitation of Shatner…

The point is, that Sven brings something unique to his host segments, that the Minneapolis crowd wouldn’t have.

Not to say that my opinion of the “Film Crew” (née MST3K) is diminished by this in any way. But Sven has an act that is all his own.

So why am I bringing this up? I wish that I had the influence to get WCIU to realize what a gem they have in this Berwyn-bashing clown! I don’t need to see “Elimidate” or “South Park”, get to SVEN!

Sven should be on a little earlier in the evening, or back in the afternoon. And WCIU should definitely consider licensing out the guy on DVDs! I’d buy them.

Anyone else out there who feels this way should let WCIU know that Sven should be on earlier, and more often! They could put him in repeats like FOX or WB; show him in his regular Saturday time slot AND repeat that episode the middle of the next week. I wouldn’t kick.

Of course the problem is I’m in Illinois about four weeks a year. I wouldn’t have much pull with the station.

The fellow who plays Sven also shows up on at least two other shows on WCIU. Appearing as himself ,Rich Koz, on “Stoogeapalooza” and I also saw him a while back as “Stu Dent” on WCIU’s “School TV” in the afternoon.

I figure it this way “Rich / Sven / Stu” is probably at least part owner of WCIU. (Anyone who knows different, let me know). He’s probably filling a dozen hats over at the UHF outfit, including acting as host to any show that needs hosting, and probably cleaning the restrooms when everyone goes home. So he’s probably just dying (get it?) to hear from a bunch of fans who are demanding his show go back into a more prime time slot!

At very least the Chicago Tribune should take notice and bother to put the program name (“That’s ‘Svengoolie…Ess, vee, in, gee, owe…’”) in the TV listings, rather than “movie, channel 26”. And any of you fans from elsewhere who find yourself in Chicagoland should definitely bother to dial the show up when you’re here.

http://www.wciu.com/shows_svengoolie_bio.asp

(sorry gang, my HTML skills are not up to par, and my notes are back in WNC. Try the cut and paste route).

No comments: