Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Visit to the VA hospital, etc.

Been doing a lot of work lately, but not much I can post. Sorry. I've been hard at work inking some pages for the next issue of Drastik. That's been fun and challenging. I finally got started on that book "Adam among the Gods". It's for Aazurn Publishing AAZURN and is coming along pretty well. I was asked to draw it in a 50s Curt Swan sort of style, and so I've been digging for that sort of look in all of my comics. I don't have a lot of mid 50s Swan, believe it or not! I did manage to find some of his 60s work, and the 70s stuff on Superman was at hand. But I've also managed to incorporate some sensibily of Al Parker's illustration work from the 50s. Thank goodness for Vincent DeFate's "Infinite Worlds" book. Anyone with an interest in Science Fiction illustration owes it to themselves to get a copy of this book. I found out about a few years back in an old SF magazine from the mid 90s, I went looking for a copy on Amazon.com and got one for $11 plus postage. Considering the amount of inspiration I've gotten from it, it's one of the better buys I've ever made.

But the real story here (as indicated by the Title above, see also: "getting to the point") is the visit to the VA hospital in Asheville, NC this past Saturday. I went with several other members of the Southeast Chapter of the National Cartoonists Society SENCS
Bruce Higdon (our chapter President), along with his son BJ, Jack Cassady (our former chapter President), David Barbour, Mike Mikula, Karin and me all went out to the VA to draw cartoons for the Vets. It was a great time. Which is something for me to say, as I hate hospitals in general. We got a chance to say "thanks" to all the Vets for their service. We met guys from WWII, Korea, Viet Nam, the Gulf War, Afghanistan, and Iraq. Everyone was in good spirits, and we were greeted with great enthusiasm by everyone we spoke to.

We hope to be able to visit again soon, but that will depend on the VA being able to allow it. It's sad to say, but since the terrorist attacks began security has been an issue, even in VA hospitals. Between myths about the Vets (i.e. All are disgrutled and bitter), terrorists that might take advantage of the Vets, and misguided individuals or groups that might use the ill to make a political statement, it's hard for volunteers to volunteer. I'm not complaining, mind you. I understand why the VA has to have the rules. But I think that if we, as a nation, treated the Vets with a bit more respect things would be better.

So, today's moral: Thank a VET! You'll be glad you did.

No comments: